I’ve been wanting to make angel food cake for quite a long while, but in every recipe I found, cream of tartar was one of the needed ingredients. Unfortunately this ingredient isn’t available at where I live so I had to figure out if it was possible to make this cake without cream of tartar. It turns out that it is! In fact, you only need a few ingredients which you probably already have in your kitchen.
If you have any egg whites left from baking something, don’t throw them away! Use them to make this for dessert 😃
This cake is very soft and fluffy and is very tasty on its own, but is especially delicious when eaten with some fresh berries!
- 5 egg whites
- 100g flour
- 125g sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and line a small pound cake pan with parchment paper
- Mix flour with baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites with salt on a medium-high speed, until they reach stiff peaks and become glossy.
- Slowly add in the sugar and the lemon juice and continue mixing.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture.
- Place the batter into the pan and bake for about 25-35 minutes.
- Leave to completely cool down.