Italian Sponge Cake is a delicate and airy cake with a fluffy texture. It is often used as the base of a popular Italian dessert – Tiramisu. It is a very simple cake, which tastes best with whipped cream / cream cheese frosting and jam or fresh fruit.
The recipe for the sponge cake is very easy and requires only 4 ingredients! This dessert is perfect for when you have guests or a family gathering. It would make an amazing birthday cake 😃 👌
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and grease a round baking pan with butter.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place them in separate bowls.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder
- Beat the egg whites until they’re fluffy and stiff. Add the sugar and keep mixing, after a while the mixture should be glossy and foamy.
- Next, add the egg yolks to the mixture and keep mixing.
- Gently fold in the flour and baking powder, be careful not to overmix!
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for around 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool down completely.