I made this red currant galette some time ago and it tasted really good, so I thought it was worth sharing on this blog. As always this recipe is really simple and you don’t need many ingredients. Because red currants are quite sour I would recommend eating this dessert with ice cream while the galette is still warm (or you can heat it up in the microwave after it has cooled down).
This delicious pie doesn’t even require a tart pan, you can make it on the same baking sheet you bake cookies on! 😃
Of course, if you don’t like redcurrants, you can switch them for something else. I’m sure that blueberries, raspberries or strawberries (or a combination of all!) will also work really well for this recipe.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 125g butter
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 cups redcurrants
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- about 2 tablespoons of milk (for brushing the edges of the galette)
- Combine the flour, salt, butter, icing sugar, eggs and cold water in a bowl. Turn to a lightly floured surface and form a dough. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and place in the refridgerator for minimum 30 minutes.
- Mix the redcurrants with the potato starch and brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out into a round shape (around 35 cm/14 inches) and transfer it onto the baking sheet.
- Pile the redcurrants in the centre of the rolled out dough.
- Fold the border up around the redcurrants and pinch to seal.
- Brush the edges with some milk.
- Bake for around 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown.