There is something comforting about a warm and fluffy cinnamon roll with gooey filling and soft cream cheese frosting. I absolutely LOVE cinnamon rolls and so does my family. My love for cinnamon rolls started when my friend from America sent me a recipe for them. Before that I had never eaten them or tried to make them myself (I don’t know why, haha!). After I finally baked them, everyone liked them so much that after some time I had to bake them again. And then again. And I ended up baking them every two months or so 😅 Then it occurred to me that, instead of following the exact same recipe every time, I could try and make my own! So I started experimenting.
My first cinnamon roll recipe is actually a vegan cinnamon roll recipe with date filling which turned out incredible!
The second time I tried to make cinnamon rolls I failed miserably 😕 The cinnamon rolls came out hard, were soaked in oil and were WAY too sweet. Believe me, I’m a person who adores desserts and sweets but that was just over-the-top sweet.
So I tried again. I cut out most of the sugar from the dough (because I knew that there was gonna be enough sugar in the filling and frosting anyway). I also didn’t add as much butter as I previously did. And what did that result in? Perfect, fluffy cinnamon rolls! So what was my lesson? That sometimes, less is more! 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 packet dried yeast
- 1 ½ cup milk (lukewarm)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Cream cheese frosting:
- 135 g cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Mix the lukewarm milk with the yeast and sugar and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, yeast mixture and oil. Leave for 1 hour to rise.
- Prepare the filing: melt the butter and mix with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Dust your surface with flour and roll out half of the dough into a rectangle.
- Spread half of the filling all over the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut into 5 cm (2 inch) pieces.
- Place the cinnamon rolls on a buttered springform pan and leave for 20 minutes to rise.
- Do the same with the remaining dough and filling.
- Bake at 180ºC/350ºF for around 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: using a hand held mixer beat together the cream cheese, sugar, butter and milk.
- Wait for the cinnamon rolls to cool down for 15 minutes and spread the cream cheese frosting on top.